Covid19 is now a global pandemic affecting us all and unprecedented guidelines have been put in place to save lives like border restrictions.
But what about the animals, especially the dogs in Spain, they are now more abandoned than ever! Every year over 50.000 dogs, mainly Galgo’s (Spanish Greyhounds) and podenco’s are killed or dumped, their average age 2-3 years old. Main reason for getting rid of them is that they’re not fast enough anymore.
Spanish shelters actively save as many dogs as they can; they rescue abandoned dogs from the streets, sometimes with road-traffic injuries, and they try and save as many dogs they can from the perrara’s (killing stations). The people who work at the shelters are all predominantly volunteers who have dedicated their lives to saving dogs. The shelters look after the dogs giving them medical help and operations if necessary, and with the help of dog rescue organizations globally (like our foundation Greyhound Rescue Holland) get the dogs re-homed. Every dog adopted makes room for another dog to get rescued and the adoption fees keep the shelters running financially!
Because of the Covid19 legislation this has all been stopped and the Spanish shelters are in a complete crisis. Dogs who have already been adopted from abroad can’t leave Spain because of the border restrictions, meaning they can’t take anymore dogs in and the shelters are overfull.
Meanwhile with no more adoption-fees coming in anymore the overheads continue (dog food, rent, energy bills, veterinary bills, insurance, etc). In an average shelter which houses around 80 dogs, food alone costs €1.800 a month. Bills are mounting up and no one knows how long the Covid19 restrictions are going to remain in place, meaning no more adoptions and hardly any income to keep the shelters going.
The situation now, 27th March 2020:
- All the dogs who have been abandoned by hunters or other owners have no more chance of rescue because the shelters are at bursting point
- All the dogs taken to the perrera (killing station) are now killed more quickly than before and more cruelly to save time and money because of the Corona-crisis
- Because of the legislation Covid19 gatherings are forbidden now, the hunters (who are predominantly owners of the dogs killed or abandoned) don’t need their dogs anymore. Normally the dogs live in packs in dark sheds with minimal food until there is no use for them anymore, then the dogs are killed or abandoned. One can only imagine what is happening to the dogs now.
- With barely any revenue coming in the shelters are struggling severely looking after dogs with medical needs such as medicine and operations
- Worse than that is the danger that shelters have to close because they don’t have money to feed the dogs, pay the rent, bills etc.
The only way we can prevent this from happening is to appeal for your help!
Any donation, no matter how small because every little bit helps, please help. You can make a donation to account number NL94 INGB 0683 8660 79 (ING-Bank) in the name of: Greyhounds Rescue Holland foundation, stating “Donation emergency support corona virus”.
* When paying from abroad, use the BIC code: INGBNL2A.
Or use this link for your donation
On behalf of GRH, the shelters and more importantly the dogs, we are so grateful for your help and support. Thank you!